Something a little different this week. A project idea for the social studies classroom.
How would you modify the election process in the United States?
Topics for students to research and discuss:
- Electoral college
- Two party system vs. multi-party system
- Term limits
- Super PACs
- Campaign finances
- Length of campaigns
- Compare to other democracies around the world
- Length of time before confirmed/inaugurated
- Federal Judge appointments
- Cabinet appointments
- Foreign interference
- Voting laws
- The voting age
- Online voting
- Absentee voting
- Candidate requirements (minimum age, maximum age, experience, citizenship, etc.)
Each student team could research one of these topics and lead a Talking Circle or Socratic Seminar discussing it as a class. Students should consider both the origin and effect of current policies. All students should study other countries’ methods for creative ideas.
Students’ final product would be a formally written proposal addressing all changes that they would make to the US election process and their rationale for the changes. It should address all three branches: Executive, Legislative, and Judicial.